Some places get in your blood and just won’t leave. When I was at Belize’s El Pescador Lodge a few years ago on an assignment with Orvis, I knew it was a place I wanted to return to. I’m thrilled to announce it’s happening — and I want to bring a few of you with me!
Teaming with Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures and fellow professional fishing photographers Bryan Gregson and Jim Klug, we’ll be hosting an On-the-Water Photography Workshop at El Pescador October 22-28, 2015. Three instructors means individual attention and help in the field, and we have quite the curriculum set up — photography excursions in the area, including a catamaran day to trip swim with tarpon, “urban” photography in the nearby town of San Pedro, and plenty of fishing photography. Oh, and three days of guided fishing.
This course is for everyone! Whether you just purchased your first, basic camera or are a seasoned amateur looking to up your game, we’re here to help. And to have a little fun. Come prepared to learn, shoot, swim, and fish. The cost is all-inclusive (details below) at $3,995 — this includes lodging, food and fishing.
School Itinerary and Daily Schedule:
• October 22 – All participants arrive in Belize and transfer to El Pescador. Evening one-hour intro class in main villa followed by welcome reception.
• October 23 – Full day of guided fishing (two anglers per boat) followed by afternoon class / instruction block in main villa.
• October 24 – Non-fishing day – Trip into town of San Pedro and other Ambergris area sites for field work and classes. Afternoon class / instruction block in main villa.
• October 25 – Full day of guided fishing (two per boat) followed by afternoon class / instruction block in main villa.
• October 26 – Full day of guided fishing (two per boat) followed by afternoon class / instruction block in main villa.
• October 27 – Full day catamaran trip and photo safari to Hol Chan, Shark-Ray Alley and Caye Caulker
• October 28 – Departure day (morning) for all participants and flight back to U.S. / home city.
Curriculum and Instruction Included in Workshop:
• Creative composition for outdoor photographers
• Effectively using circular polarizers and ND filters
• Underwater photography: equipment and techniques
• Night photography: stars and light painting
• Proper fish handling techniques and shooting great “hero” shots
• Packing and travel advice for outdoor photographers
• Recommended “kit” and equipment lists for fishing photographers
• Sunrise and sunset shooting techniques
• Travel photography: Food, fishing, people, places and things
• File handling: downloading, labeling, editing and organizing
• Social media techniques for the independent outdoor photographer
• Nighttime photo walks
• Daily (evening) photo critique for all participants
Photo Workshop Package Includes:
• Six nights of double occupancy lodging at El Pescador (single room upgrades available for an additional $600.00 per person)
• All meals at lodge
• In-country transfer flights from Belize City to Ambergris Caye
• All transfers to and from lodge
• Open bar tab (local beer, liquors and soda)
• Three full days of guides fishing (two anglers per boat)
• Two full days of photo excursions including trips to Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Shark-Ray Alley, Caye Caulker and San Pedro)
• Daily classes, seminars and photo instruction for all five days
• Use of fishing equipment (if needed)
• All taxes and service charges
• Participant gift bag
Package Does Not Include:
• Airfare to Belize City
• Gratuities for fishing guides and lodge staff
• Single supplement upgrades (if desired)
• Personal camera equipment
• Additional fishing equipment (other than rods and reels)
You can find more information here. I’m about to be out of the country and off the grid for an assignment for ten days, but feel free to email (firegirlphotography (at) me (dot) com) for more info, or call the Yellow Dog office at 888-777-5060.